Capture the excitement and beauty of the South Pacific Islands. Learn the fundamentals of traditional and contemporary Tahitian, Hawaiian and New Zealand Maori dance, art, music, crafts and drumming. Our 3,000 sq. ft. facility will take you back to the islands with its tropical atmosphere of bamboo, palm trees and exotic talking birds.
Hula Halau ‘O Makalapua, Marama Te Mafatu Nui offers people of all descents the opportunity to develop poise and confidence through dance, as well as the continuity of one’s cultural heritage through the instruction of music, arts, and crafts of the islands. Students learn confidence, self-expression, to dance in unity with others, stage presence, proper execution of their dance, and language.
We believe that if we can teach our Students the “Aloha Spirit” of strong family values, spiritual guidance and nurture their growth, then we have contributed to their tomorrows… a future bright with promise.
Throughout the year students will learn both Hawaiian and Tahitian. Maori dances are taught at specified times of the year. Students are placed in class levels at the discretion of the instructor based on skill, attendance, accountability, motivation, stage presence and knowledge of form and technique. In addition, we offer sewing workshops to teach our students how to cut and assemble fabric to make dresses and shirts. This workshop is available to both the Wahine and Kane.
- Monday 6:30-7:30pm Wahine and Kane Beginner/Intermediate Hawaiian/Tahitian
- Monday 7:30-8:30pm Wahine and Kane Advance Hawaiian
- Tuesday 10:00am-11:00am Kane Hula/Ipu Class (New Class)
- Tuesday 11:15am-12:15pm Ukulele Intermediate Strumming
- Tuesday 12:30-1:30pm Ukulele Strumming Patterns for Beginners Workshop
- Tuesday 7:00pm-8:00pm Island Infusion Bootcamp Cardio Class (New Class pre-register)
- Wednesday 10:30am-11:30am Wahine/Kane Hula Class located at Doelgers Rec Ctr in Daly City
- Wednesday 5:30pm-6:00pm Ukulele Beginners Workshop (New Class pre-register)
- Wednesday 6:30-7:30pm Pre-Teen Int. Tahitian / Hawaiian
- Wednesday 7:30-8:30pm Tahitian Int
- Wednesday 7:30-8:30pm Drumming Workshop
- Thursday 4:30-5:00pm “My Hula Mommy and Me” Hula Class Sessions (3-4yrs) Please call for session dates
- Thursday 5:30-6:15pm Keiki Hula / Tahitian
- Thursday 6:45pm-7:45pm Hulas for Worship (New Class pre-register)
- Friday 7:00pm Advanced Tahitian
- Saturday 9:30-10:30am Beginner Drumming Workshop Sessions
- Yoga Classes ….. check in for upcoming dates/times